Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Out for the Season

ESSA Racers, Not great news.  I am now in Cincinnati and next Tuesday, I’ll have a melanoma removed from my left ear. Bummer! Some background … in early June I saw my dermatologist for a regular 6 month check. He noticed a bump on my left ear and froze it. After the scab fell off, the area was slow to heal and bled easily. In a follow-up appointment, a biopsy was taken which came back confirming melanoma. I’ll have three surgeries.  The first surgery will remove the melanoma and check for spread to the lymph nodes.  What’s removed will be biopsied to confirm clean margins and no spread. If I’m good to go, I’ll then have the first of two surgeries to repair my ear.  Assuming no unexpected findings, I’ll be through the surgical/healing process and ready to return to Cambridge about September 1. Certainly not how I expected to spend my summer, but that’s life. I’ve asked Pat Seidel to take over as Fleet Captain. Pat has done a great job organizing the On-the-Water and the On-the-Land Race Committees. He will assure that our Wednesday Night Races run smoothly and are challenging for skippers and crew. Sail fast, enjoy the rest of the season and put on that sunscreen! 
 Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment