Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Hello,

This requests your thoughts to help better understand the factors behind the low turnout for the Stedman Smith Cup race on Saturday, June 5th. 

As background, the Stedman Smith Cup typically attracts 7-8 boats and 25 - 30 people for lunch at the Tred Avon Yacht Club. 

This year 5 boats signed up for the race but only 3 boats showed up on the starting line. Even at 5 boats, the projected number of lunches to be served at TAYC was below what could justify opening their Clubhouse and bringing in staff. 

The course was then modified to eliminate a lunch stop at TAYC and simply was a race to the Choptank Light and back to Cambridge. Even though a good racing breeze was forecasted, the modified course was eventually shortened due to low wind and Lazy Ethyl recorded the fastest time. 

So why the low turnout?  To be direct, why did you not participate?  I will not associate your name with your feedback. 

To get you thinking, here are some starters. 

1. I am busy on Saturdays. 

2. Lunch was too expensive at about $25/person. 

3. The race over and back plus lunch takes too long. I can’t devote my weekend morning and afternoon to it. 

4. I could not find crew with someone capable of sailing my boat from the Choptank Light back to Cambridge. 

5. I don’t like distance races. The buoy race format on Wednesdays is enough

6. I was worried about potential Covid exposure. 

7.  Your reasons. 

 Looking ahead, how should the 2022 Stedman Smith Cup be redesigned (or not) to encourage a higher number of boats to participate?

Please send my your comments at rgallagher1.rg@gmail.com

 

Thanks,

Bob

~~~~ /) ~~~~  ~~
 ~   ~~~ /) ~~~ ~
 ~~    ~~~~ ~  ~~
 

(Google will discontinue automatic emails of posts in July.)

No comments:

Post a Comment